TimeLine, blueSky, and El Capistan – looping nerdery

When I’m not busy making videos, audio demos, and doing all of my marketing stuff for Strymon, I spend lots of time in my home studio making my own videos and nerding out with music gear. Basically, I’m just always nerding out with gear. :)

This video started out as a way to test out some new looping software (Circular Labs Mobius), but I ended up getting carried away and wrote a new song. I’ve got El Capistan and blueSky on my guitar, as well as TimeLine and an old Boss DF-2 on my vocals. I’ve been using TimeLine quite a bit for vocals—for this video, I’m using primarily the TimeLine Ice and Lo-Fi machines. Hope you dig it :)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “TimeLine, blueSky, and El Capistan – looping nerdery”

1. Oliver says:

Great Ethan! Very 80´s and I mean that as a compliment. When I put Cocteau Twins` debut album “Garlands” on my turntable, it completely changed my life … in 1982 (my goodness…) … Robin Guthrie has been a great influence for me, as well as many other “effect oriented guitarists” … another reason why I dig Strymon´s product line. I will check your YT channel … keep up the good work. Cheers, Oliver

2. Brian says:

Very, very cool! I really love the textures and arrangement of the tune.

3. Keith Farley says:

Ethan,

Great song! I see your using the FCB1010 controller. Have you used it for the timeline yet? I’m looking to try it, if you have any tips they would be much appreciated.

Thank for the great things you guys do.

Keith

@Keith – thanks very much! I haven’t used the FCB1010 with the TimeLine yet. Not the easiest to program but they’re super-inexpensive. :)

@Brian @Oliver – thanks very much!! :) :)

6. Jules says:

Sounded great – I agree very 80s – but I’m in a Post-Punk band, so consider that a compliment. Reminds me more of early OMD, a little bit of the Prids too – check them out if you haven’t heard of them yet.

7. James says:

A little late to this party, but I really like this! I’ve been a fan of yours since I stumbled across ‘Computer’ on YouTube a few years ago.

Thanks for the kind words James!! :) :)

9. Chris says:

Nice! Part of what moves me is the feeling I get when certain
    elements are mixed the way you are doing them. Sonically
    experimenting can be as creative a process as music is. I never
    thought I would have said that a few years earlier.

10. Reid says:

Great stuff!

I was wondering if you use and reamping boxes or DI’s when you use your Strymon gear on vocals?

I’ve heard that impedence matching problems can big a deal breaker when using guitar effect pedals on vox.

Thanks

-Reid

@Reid – Thanks very much! I haven’t had any impedance problems with using effects pedals for vocals. I just use a XLR to 1/4″ adapter, allowing you to connect a low-impedance microphone cable to a high-impedance input. In my setup, my vocal signal runs into an Mac audio interface, so I add gain there. Hope this helps! :)