TimeLine firmware public beta 1.42

TimeLine firmware updateWe always work hard to improve the experience our customers have with our products. We have been working on adding a few new features and improvements to TimeLine.

We are releasing this version as a public beta to allow additional testing in many different real world usage situations. This is not a required update— please feel free to continue using your current version. Should you choose to update your TimeLine you are always allowed the option to roll back.

Update instructions are included as a PDF with the download. If you have any problems updating, please take a look at these updating troubleshooting tips. :)

Download

What’s New:

• MIDI Clock Sweep (MC SWP) global parameter:
    • We’ve added the option to keep or remove delay pitch artifacts when changing TAP tempo from external MIDI Clock source.
  • MIDI Clock Reset (MC RST) global parameter:
    • Now, you have the option to re-sync TimeLine back to an external MIDI clock source tempo after manually tapping in a new tempo or sweeping the Time knob on TimeLine.
  • Added new MIDI Commands for looper:
    • We’ve added two new absolute MIDI commands for Reverse and Half Speed looper controls. Reverse = 103
  • Changed MIDI Preset Recall Behavior
    • In older code revisions, recalling presets via MIDI automatically altered the bypass state of the preset to ON. Now, if your preset is bypassed before you send a new MIDI preset program change, the new preset recalled will remain bypassed.
  • Improved Swell Delay triggering:
    • We’ve made improvements to the way the swell is triggered when using the Swell Delay machine.
  • Global Tap Tempo per preset:
    • You can now turn Global Tap Tempo on or off per preset. Useful when you have some presets that require Global Tap and others that don’t.
  • “SUCCESS” indicator when installing factory/user presets:
    • Now, when a factory or user preset SysEx file is loaded into the TimeLine, the LED will display “SUCCESS” indicating a successful file transfer.
  • Preset Dump:
    • We’ve added a Preset Dump function in the Global menu. This is a great way to make a backup of your TimeLine presets.

What’s Fixed:

• Improved looper design to remove audible ticks when controlling looper reverse and half speed functions with a MIDI controller
  • Fixed and enabled Global TAP per preset feature. You can now turn Global TAP Tempo on and off per preset. Useful when you have some presets that require Global TAP and others that don’t.
  • Fixed an issue caused when using the looper with the pattern delay machine
  • Kill Dry function now kills dry signal when TimeLine is bypassed
  • Fixed audible glitch in spillover from dBucket to Dual delay machine when in parallel configuration
  • Resolved an issue caused when utilizing the feedback loop while TimeLine is bypassed

If you come across any issues with this beta release, please email us at support@strymon.net. Thanks very much! :)

Tags: , ,

51 Responses to “TimeLine firmware public beta 1.42”

1. Zach D says:

Glad to see more Midi features. Still would like to see Midi clock out though! :)

2. Erick says:

Pretty awesome. Now, I just need a MIDI/USB cable to update. Thanks for this update.

3. shaowen says:

Thanks for the update!

Noticed that Global Tap Tempo behaviour seems to have changed. When tapping in a delay based on quarter notes, the tempo translates over when another dotted 8th delay is selected (i.e. ms/bpm stays the same). However, when the original or another quarter note delay is subsequently selected, the tempo is changed (ms increased/bpm decreased).

Is this a bug?

4. Avi says:

Like Shaowen, I’ve also noticed that Global tap tempo doesn’t seem to be working properly when a 1/4 note delay preset is selected. I can tap the 1/4 delay preset, switch to a dotted eighth preset, and the BPM holds. If I switch back to the 1/4 preset, the BPM is decreased.
    If I tap the dotted 8th delay preset, and switch to the 1/4 preset, the BPM doesn’t hold and goes decreases immediately.

5. Avi says:

Is it possible to still get the 1.33 firmware? I can’t seem to find it on this site.

@Avi, we don’t have it available for download as that version had a few issues. If you’d like to install that version just email support and we can send it your way.

7. Baggas says:

Am I correct that the tap tempo will sync between Timeline and Mobius now, but that is not the same as Midi Clock out??

If so, a general Midi clock out to use with other Midi devices would be a great addition, as per Zach D above.

8. LRC says:

Avi and Shaoewen, I’ve got the same issue. Back to 1.33 I go.

@Baggas, The ability to sync up the TL and Mobius via MIDI is not the same as MIDI Clock. Thanks for the feedback though! I’ll pass that along! :)

@LRC, We’ve got a new version coming out very soon that should fix this. Stay tuned! :)

11. Johan says:

Just tried this at band reheardsal today. In regards to the updated MIDI – I think this update is better, and I think you can do even better :-)

What I would like is for the on/off state to be remembered in the channel config, same as all the other parameters. This is so that I can set for instance MIDI channel 1 to default to an on state, and MIDI channel 2 to default to an off state.

A bit of background – I’m using MIDI to control the timeline and my amp. I would like to have my main lead tone with the Timeline on (MIDI Channel 3), but my main clean tone with the Timeline off (MIDI Channel 1) – as a default. But with the clean tone, I want to have the option of enabling the Timeline when I want so I want to have it loaded up with a nice delay that would suit the clean tone on MIDI channel 1.

@Johan, thanks for the feedback! I’ll certainly pass it along! :)

13. David says:

Hey, having the same issues as above – when I tap a tempo it changes (halves or doubles) when I switch presets, even when “global” tap is on for each preset. Tried going back to 1v42 but that didn’t solve it. Also, I can’t get midi dump to work.

@David, Are you running on version 1.42b now? The global TAP per preset is fixed in that version. Have you actually set the TAP to be global or preset in the parameters menu? You also need to save the preset. Email us at support@strymon.net and we can continue to troubleshoot with you! :)

15. Jim says:

Hi, have the above global/preset tap issues on this update that David, LRC, Avi and Shaowen are reffering to been sorted yet?

16. ryan says:

Hi- I think I’m wondering the same thing as Jim. I tried 1.42b about a month ago and the shaowen/avi tap tempo bug was present. Has this been fixed in 1.42b? Thanks.

17. Andy says:

Hi there!! Just updated to 1.42b last night, and I’ve got the same thing happening. I have two patches saved on Global, one dotted 8th and one quarter note, and the time gets lost when I switch between them. Any idea when this bug will be fixed?

Cheers

18. Baggas says:

I had an idea for the Mobius and Timeline. Would it be possible to have a Global setting for the Expression pedal similar to the global/preset tap option. I’d love to set up my exp pedal to control the same parameter for all patches (eg mix) but find its a pain to have to individually go through and change this for each preset. Would be great to be able to setup one global expression pedal setting, but then have the option to be able to override that for individual presets if you wanted to. Something to consider perhaps? Cheers.

@Andy and @ryan, this bug has been fixed internally and we’re just wrapping up testing so hopefully we can have a new release very soon. Thanks for hanging in there with us! :)

@Baggas, thanks for the feedback! I’ll pass this on to our engineers! :)

21. Jonathan says:

Rick, any progress on a release fixing the global tap per preset function? I am on 1.42b and having the same issues – anytime I change between patches that have tap subdivisions is when I notice the problem. Going from a “preset” patch to a “global” patch is always fine, and going from a “global” patch with no subdivision to a “global” patch WITH subdivision is fine, but going from global/subdivision to global/no subdiv. and global/subd to global/subd is when I’ve had problems with the delay time incorrect. Thanks!

@Jonathan, I apologize for the delay in the release. I fell a bit behind with the release of the librarian software. The good news is that we have been testing it and it looks solid. I just want to burn it in a little more and hopefully we can have it out within the next few days. :)

23. Jonathan says:

Thanks, Rick! Great to hear – I’ll be using my Timeline a lot for a summer camp gig in a couple weeks & that fix is very timely. You guys are fantastic!

24. Zach D says:

I had the same idea as @Baggas concerning a global expression pedal setting. I can’t quite remember if I emailed the support team though…So what he said.

Also, I just wanted to say I really appreciate the Strymon team. I love your products, and appreciate your open ear to your customer’s feedback. You guys go above and beyond. :)

25. Jens A says:

@rick. Any news on this? Just bought me a Timeline so I want use it’s latest soul…

26. Joe Krueger says:

Hey Rick, any news on when the new Firmware will be released to fix the bugs in 1.42b ?

27. Carl says:

Does the latest update v1.43 just released, have the option to turn the warble off when tapping new tempo on dBucket?

@Carl, No it doesn’t. That’s really how a lot of analog bucket brigade style delays work so we wanted to stay true to that. I’ll pass your feedback on though! :)

29. ryan says:

1.43 worked perfectly for me last night. the global tap/preset tempo thing is huge and the swell triggering is great. thanks a lot.

30. Justin says:

I think you guys may have forgotten to update the numbers and the date on the release notes. This latest version says, “Firmware Rev. 1.23 (Released February 2012)” but the Beta 1.43 was released June 2013…

Looking forward to exploring the new features. Thanks!

@Justin, we actually purposely place the current shipping version first in the list. If you scroll down just below it you should see the latest public beta version along with the release notes for it and the link to the download.

33. Kim says:

Woould be cool too boost more than 3 db so you can turn the effect full wet whitout loosing amlitude.

@Kim, thanks for the feedback! I’ll pass that along! :)

35. Danny says:

Does version 1.42 not include the sending of a patch’s parameter setting out through MIDI when selecting a patch? I use TouchOSC to control and provide real-time feedback with the pedal and it seems like I cannot get the feedback of the parameter states anymore. Thank you

@Danny, this feature was removed in version 1.42b and 1.43b as it was causing some problems for some other users. We’re exploring the possibility of re-implementing this in a future firmware update however.

37. Aislan says:

Hi, is possible in the next update of the Timeline, activate the channel A and channel B together?

@Aislan, I’m not sure how possible that would be due to various things like DSP limitations etc. but I will certainly pass your feedback on to our engineers! :)

39. Jimmy says:

I think the biggest win would be a global option to sync the taps between the timeline and mobius, preferably through midi. In other words tap on one, the other gets the tap. It is a pain to have to tap on both constantly, and unfortunately most bands don’t play to either click, sequencer, or track. Just my 2 cents.

@Jimmy this actually works. Just connect a MIDI cable form the OUT of your Mobius to the IN of your TimeLine and the taps should sync up. :)

41. Anthony says:

@rick. If I haven’t updated my TL since last year (1.2 something) do I need to perform all the updates in between or will this new omen cover all my bases? Thanks for the help.

@Anthony, you can update straight to the latest version! No incremental updates needed here! :)

43. starscape says:

Hi Strymons,

thanks for the latest update. The Global Tap fix is a great help on the best delay I’ve ever had, as well as the new Killdry feature!
    Is there a chance to give Timeline’s looper a (midi-) pedal controlled feedback or decay function in the future, which is available in all modes (overdub, play, forwards, backwards, half speed, etc.)?

44. Kyle says:

My strymon timeline and mobius wont sync up tempo when tapped
    with MIDI clock sent from ableton it works fine, but when i dont use ableton, the taps dont sync between them.
    the timeline has 1.43 firmware

45. Kyle says:

i also noticed another problem with the global tempo setting that used to work but does not any longer
    when i tap in a tempo and then dial it in with the knob to get it exactly where i want it….when i switch settings it switches to the tempo programmed for that preset even though i have global tap set for all my presets
    i really bummed by these new updates…i can’t get even one pedal to be in time with itself for a whole song

@Kyle, I believe we spoke via email today. The global tempo issue you are running into is normal behavior but try updating your Mobius to version 1.08 so see if it fixes your MIDI sync issue. Thanks! – Rick

47. Mads says:

A huge +1 for a midi clock out. Would be awesome to able to sync other midi stuff to the delay realtime.

48. Luke says:

I’m having trouble choosing different tempos for different presets. I have songs set to different delay times and need them to change to set tempos for each song. I’m new to the timeline can anyone help please?

@Luke – In each preset, go to the PARAMS menu and set the TAP parameter to PRESET. Then, set your tempo and SAVE the preset. You will need to do this for every preset you are using the TimeLine so that each preset is saved with its own tempo.

50. Shive says:

Agreed on the need for a controlled decay on the looper. This is a huge feature for anybody doing ambient looping. Love this thing otherwise.