Preset Librarian – open platform developer’s edition

TimeLine and MobiusWe recently decided to develop an open source preset librarian for TimeLine and Mobius. Our main goal was to assemble the infrastructure for an extendable librarian that could be customized and tweaked by developers in many different ways.

We’ve just finished putting together this initial version, which will allow TimeLine and Mobius users to organize and back up their presets, when connected to a Mac or PC via a MIDI to USB converter. So, for the non-coder, you can go right ahead and use this version and access basic organization and back up functionality.

For the code monkey, you’ll be glad to hear that we’ve added all sorts of hooks under the hood that can be accessed and customized. While this current version is very bare bones, we have left the door wide open for additional developers to build in their own features and user interfaces.

We plan to make updates in the future, in parallel with any open source developers that choose to come on and work on their own versions. If you have any issues with the software, please feel free to email us at support@strymon.net. Thanks!

Supported Platforms:

Mac OS X – 10.6.8, 10.7.x, 10.8.x
Windows – XP, Vista, 7

Current Release:
Version: 0.9.1.1 (developers edition)
Download the latest version HERE

Usage:

» Usage instructions

Developers’ Corner:

» Strymon Preset Librarian project on GitHub

Tags: , , ,

41 Responses to “Preset Librarian – open platform developer’s edition”

1. Michael says:

Yes! Thank you.

2. acaonweb says:

Great Great Great!!!! Please create it for iOS (idevice) it couldnt be so difficult starting from osx :):) because using on stage :):)

3. rodrigo says:

Hello,

Are you planning to implement a visual preset editor on top of this?

Thanks.

4. John A. says:

Thank you!! Now backing up configs and exchanging with friends will be much easier.

5. Kevin says:

Why didn’t you specify Windows 8? Would it not work with it?

6. Zach D says:

So glad this has been released. I’ll use it every week at the very least!

7. Zachary says:

I’m sooo excited for this, but can’t get it working!!! So frustrating!

I’m using a new iMac 27″ running OS X (10.8.3) and the M-Audio UNO MIDI Interface. When I start SPL and select “USB Uno MIDI Interface” from the MIDI Settings dialog box (as per the instructions) and click the Test button it just says “unknown”.

Why won’t it connect!? Is anyone else having issues?

When it says “Unknown” it means that the Librarian is seeing a MIDI device but it’s not seeing the MIDI Device “we” are looking for (your UNO). Here are some things to try:

1. Make sure you have the latest UNO drivers installed.
    2. The ins/outs are confusingly labeled on the UNO. Make sure you have “To OUT” connected to the device OUT and “To IN” connected to the IN.
    3. Click the TEST button in the librarian software. Do any of the little green LEDs on your UNO blink?
    4. Do you have any other audio interfaces or MIDI interfaces other than the UNO connected to your computer? If so, try just unplugging them and relaunching the librarian software.

If these suggestions don’t work, please email us at support@strymon.net and we can help out!

@Kevin, we didn’t do any testing on Win8 but there really isn’t any reason it should not work. We’re actually in the process of going through some Win8 testing now.

10. Cole says:

Love the app, guys! Super easy to use and works like a charm. Thanks!

11. Jordan says:

Can’t wait to try this thing out!

I’m having some trouble using an Axiom 49 as the interface. It’s doing a call and response but comes back “unknown”. Tried to upgrade the driver but turns out it’s class compliant and has none. I’m running OS X 10.8.3.

Any ideas?

12. Jordan says:

OK, turns out the Axiom doesn’t pass Sysex thru to the MIDI out. The response I saw was the Axiom, not Timeline.

Damn. Time to get a proper MIDI interface at home.

13. rodrigo says:

Hello,

I’m trying to contribute to this project, I have checked out the source from Github, and I’m using Windows 8 and Visual Studio 2012 + QT 5.0.2 (all x64). But I just can’t get it to build on VS.

wondering if someone over there could maybe offer some help?

rgds.

@rodrgio, email us at support @strymon.net and we’ll see what we can do for you! :)

15. rodrigo says:

Thanks guys. I managed to fix the project meanwhile, VS2012 was deleting 3 .cpp files on its own when building, and removing them from the project (?!?). This is probably some glitch by VS2012 when converting the VS2010 solution file. Anyway, it now builds and runs normally. So, thanks for being available, I’ll mail later if anything else comes up! rgds.

Hey guys! New version is up!

17. Clay G says:

Thanks very much. I used it with the lexicon Ionix 8-channel and the Mobius. The Mobius is just what I needed. We play a lot with click tracks and now the PC can keep the Mobius in time-phase with the rest of the band. A MUST when it comes to patterned chopper sequences and other tremolo patterns.

18. David C says:

What about an editor? When will we see something?

@David C, at the moment we’re working on improving the librarian under the hood so it’s as solid as we can possibly make it. I don’t have an ETA on any kind of editor but I’ll certainly pass your feedback on! :)

20. patrick says:

so, do we know of anyone that has tweaked with the open source code yet and made anything cool from the original offering?

@Patrick, I’ve talked to one gentleman who is working with the code so hopefully he has something to offer soon!

22. Daniel RP says:

Hi, if possible… the EDITOR please. A must have for a piece of art like the Timeline. Best regards from Brasil.

23. Ryan Veitch says:

Just wanted to say thanks SO MUCH for this. I use a silly large OC-10 midi/loop controlled board and this saves me so much time and frustration in setting up all my settings and midi program changes. Oh, and it works great with an M-box 2 in case anyone was concerned about that.

Hey Ryan, no problem! Glad you’re getting some good use out of it! :)

25. Marco says:

I’m having troubles with my M-Audio midisport 2×2! i’ve connected the midi cables properly between the timeline and the midi interface but when i do the test it say “no response”. i can’t understand why!! anyone had the same problem?! thank you

@Marco, I just got your email and it looks like you were able to get everything working. If you have any other issues please feel free to email our support department directly and we’ll help you out! :)

27. Clif P says:

I am absolutely stoked you guys are opening up your software to developers! I like Strymon more and more as a company. Now if you had Linux support, I would be all over this (in terms of development) as well as purchasing your pedals (when I’m not as broke as I am).

Props…but add Linux support!

@Clif P, thanks for the feedback! I’ll get that over to our engineers! :)

29. Lewis says:

Hi, I have just updated to Mac OS Mavericks & SPL no longer opens, any clues to if you have to do something to SPL to get it to run?

@Lewis, SPL isn’t compatible with Mavericks just yet. We’re actually in the process of testing a build though so it shouldn’t bee too long before we have a release that supports it!

31. Nick Farlight says:

Any news about Editor?

@Nick Farlight I don’t have anything new to report on the editor front. We’re still working to improve some internal things with the librarian to make it as robust and solid as we can. I don’t actually see an editor being released for a little while. I’ll make sure our software engineers see your request though!

33. Clint says:

I hooked up a MAudio Uno Midi cable today and downloaded the librarian software and everything works fine. I can edit names of patches and move them where I like. I look forward to utilizing the EDITOR to tweak parameters and having the ability to share patches with other users! ETA on EDITOR?

@Clint We haven’t really committed to putting out a full blown editor at this time but I’ll definitely pass your feedback on! :)

35. Daniel McPherson says:

I am having troubles with Librarian. I am able to connect to the device and fetch the list, however when i try to sync my changes up it says unable to connect to the device. Anything i can do? I just updated the firmware on my timeline, so that should be fine.

@Daniel_McPherson Communication problems like this tend to be due to the MIDI interface that you are using. Please check out the following FAQ which also applies to connecting to the Librarian software to help you get connected:

37. Dale Schmitt says:

I am having the same issue as Daniel is having above. I am able to connect to the device and fetch the list, however when I try to sync my changes it says unable to connect to the device. I have looked at the above mentioned trouble shooting tips, but cant seem to find a fix. I am using the Innovative Interfaces MIO as a MIDI to USB interface.

38. tom hull says:

let it be known that i’d quite happily pay for a software editor. i mainly use my tl/bs/mob in the studio, so would be so useful

especially if you could daw integrate.

now that would be something

@Dale That MIO USB interface that you are using is not a recommended interface as I mentioned in my email to you, but I’m glad that you were able to get it working using the IO preferences that I provided you.

40. danny serrano says:

I’m using an alesis usb/midi cable. I can fetch my preset list, and midi settings passes test. I’m able to backup my presets but i’m unable to upload presets, or update fw. Would this be because im using the alesis cable as my interface?

@danny serrano – That problem is likely due to the MIDI interface as a lot of those and other plug-and-play type of MIDI interfaces may not be robust enough for the communication back and forth between our pedals and librarian. Shoot an email to support@strymon.net so I can give you some suggestions that may get that working.