Looping Tips and Techniques

Looping Tips and Techniques - illustration by Ethan Tufts

I recently had the opportunity to contribute an article for the December 2013 issue of Premier Guitar magazine. The topic? Something very dear to my heart—looping tips and techniques!

“If you want to take your looping from four-bar bedroom jams to a performance environment, start thinking of your looper as an instrument, not an effect. Creating engaging loop performances can require the same type of effort that you put into learning guitar. Really get to know your looper until using it becomes second nature.”

Head on over to the Premier Guitar site to read the whole article:

Read the article

And if you’re interested in seeing some of these techniques in practice, please feel free to check out a couple of my recent looping vids on YouTube. :)

Tags: , , , ,

8 Responses to “Looping Tips and Techniques”

1. Javier Fontenla says:

Strymon should launch a loop pedal. We ALL would buy it!!!

2. Walter Graham Rice III says:

Go Ethan. Nice stuff. It’s cool to finally hear some of you. Thanx for sharing.

3. Andy Riedel says:

Incredible stuff, Ethan! I’m interested in looping but have NEVER done it. (I’m just your old school guitar and keyboard player.) Would love to hear about some of the equipment you used here. If that’s mentioned somewhere I missed it. Any info or links you might supply?

Thanks,
    Andy

@Javier – thanks for the feedback!

@Walter – thanks very much for the kind words! Glad you enjoyed it.

@Andy – thanks very much! :) :) In those videos I’m actually running Circular Labs looping software on my MacBook. I love it— it’s very powerful but it does have a steep learning curve. I’m running my Wurlitzer, guitar, and vocals through quite a few effects pedals. Audio is routed into a Presonus audio interface into my Mac. Using an inexpensive Behringer midi foot controller to control the looper.

If you’re looking to get into looping, I wouldn’t recommend my setup, but there are quite a few good entry-level looping pedals out there that you can get started on. TC Ditto, Boss RC-3, Digitech Jamman. And of course our own TimeLine delay has a built-in easy to use looper. :)

Hope this helps :)

7. David says:

how are you getting those stutter effects? Is that with the Mobious software?

It’s the Izotope Stutter Edit plug-in. :)