The Front End to Your Dream Tone.
OB.1 combines studio quality, beautifully transparent analog optical compression with a Clean Boost with EQ curves designed to super-charge your favorite amp and reveal its true character. Featuring an all-analog signal path with premium components throughout, a high-impedance input, and very low noise circuitry, OB.1 is perfect for the number one spot in your signal chain. It’s the missing piece you’ve been searching for.
There is a monster trapped inside your low or medium gain amp, and OB.1 can set it free. Bring out your amp’s character in ways you never thought possible. Hear things you never knew your amp could do.
OB.1 provides greater than 20dB of gain-compensated compression, and with the integrated Clean Boost, an extra 10dB of full-frequency, mid or treble boost is available. Use the mid or treble boost together with a bit of transparent compression, and your amp will sound like it was just modified by a world-class boutique amp designer.
Clean Boost With Curves.
The first stage of a high gain amplifier channel doesn’t just boost gain, it also boosts high-end in such a way so that the distorted signal can cut through without getting bogged down by too much low-end. When you use OB.1 first in your signal chain and engage the mid or treble boost, that’s exactly what you’re achieving. Even if you’ve tried boost pedals before, you’ll be surprised by the transformation of your tone. Try the treble boost with humbuckers for biting solos or the mid boost to fatten up single coil pickups. There is also a flat setting for full-frequency Clean Boost.
Clean Up Your Playing.
Arpeggios, sweep-picking, hammer-ons, and other blazing techniques benefit when each note is played at a consistent level. OB.1’s optical compression preserves your attacks while smoothing out the overall signal, bringing out the softer notes. You can also enjoy the sustain of high gain without too much of the fizzy stuff. And OB.1’s extremely quiet analog signal path with its high-quality, low noise op amp and high-impedance input is perfect in front of your high-gain setup.
Press (+) for more info.
Front Panel Controls
- Output controls the overall output level. Attenuation is possible at low settings as well as overall boost at higher settings.
- Boost Level varies the amount of boost when the clean boost circuit is active. Soft clipping can be achieved by setting the Boost Level at maximum.
- Comp sets the threshold of the optical compressor circuit. Set below 50% for more transparent settings and above 50% for more sonically apparent compression. Turning the COMP knob to zero effectively takes the compressor out of circuit.
- Boost Shape varies the frequency response of the clean boost circuit. Select treble boost, mid boost, or full flat frequency response curves.
- The Boost footswitch ngages the Clean Boost. The Clean Boost is post compressor.
- The Bypass footswitch engages and disengages effect. Bypass is a true bypass circuit with mechanical relay switching.
Ins & Outs
- Input – High impedance mono input.
- Power – Standard 9V DC center negative power input. 20mA of current required. Can also be powered with a 9V battery.
- Output – Low impedance mono output.
Internal DIP Switches for Additional Tweakability.
Chances are that you will quickly find a setting that makes your guitar and amplifier really sing, but for additional control, OB.1 allows you to fine tune the Boost EQ curve to fit your guitar and amplifier via internal DIP switches. The Treble Boost corner frequency is switchable between about 1.5 kHz or 2 kHz, and the Mid Boost peak frequency is switchable between around 800 Hz and 1.1 kHz.
Ins, Outs & More
- True Bypass (electromechanical relay switching)
- Greater than 20dB of gain compensated compression
- Additional 10dB of full frequency, mid, or treble boost with Clean Boost engaged
- Treble Boost Frequency: Shelf at about 1.5 kHz or 2kHz switchable with internal DIP switches
- Mid Boost Frequency: Peak around 800 Hz or 1.1kHz switchable with internal DIP switches
Ins, Outs & More
...the squashed ’80s sound is readily available and the more subtle settings are gorgeously transparent.
The Strymon OB.1 can definitely enhance your guitar tone. You can also save some room on your pedalboard since the OB.1 is a compressor, clean boost and treble boost all in one package.