Your Dream Tone Starts Here.
Start your signal chain with the best possible version of your guitar tone. Treat your guitar signal to true studio quality analog compression with two distinct voices for smooth transparency or vintage squeeze. Hit the Boost switch to add clean boost or soft-clipped dirty boost, with the EQ curve of your choice. Mix in some dry signal for natural attack even with extreme compression settings. Feel the perfectly tailored dynamic response, feeding your amp and effects just what they need to sound their best.
Your Everything Upgrade.
From pickups, tubes, capacitors, to speaker cabinets—the aspects of a rig that can be upgraded or changed are nearly endless. Plug in Compadre and you may find you already have everything you need for the tone you’ve been seeking.
Bring out your amp’s character in ways you never thought possible. Compadre’s Class A JFET input circuit, studio quality analog compression, and musically voiced analog boost circuits all work together to make your amp sound like it was just modified by a world-class boutique amp designer.
Super Flexible, Super Easy.
Two Distinct Analog Compression Circuits.
Boost the Sweet Spot, Clean or Dirty.
- Boost adjusts the amount of boost when the boost circuit is active. Typical boost is approximately 14dB when using flat clean setting.
- Boost EQ selects the frequency shape for clean and dirty boost.
- treble: Tightens the bottom end by boosting mid to high frequencies
- mid: Fattens tone by pushing midrange frequencies
- flat: Full range frequency response
- Comp Type selects the type of compression.
- studio: Smooth compression as found in vintage rack compressors
- squeeze: Hard compression typical of classic guitar pedals
- Compression adjusts the amount of compression added to the signal. Turning clockwise increases compression by lowering the threshold. When fully counterclockwise, no compression is applied.
- Dry adjusts the amount of dry signal summed with the compressor output.
- Level adjusts the output level of the pedal by -6dB to +6dB when the compressor is engaged. Set to noon for unity gain.
- The Boost footswitch engages and disengages the variable boost independent of the compression circuit. Compadre’s boost is post-compression.
- The Comp footswitch engages and disengages the VCA compressor independent of the boost circuit.
- In – High impedance ultra low-noise discrete Class A JFET preamp input.
- Out – Low impedance mono output.
- Volume – Connect a TRS expression pedal for full-time volume pedal functionality.
- Fav / MIDI – Connect a Strymon MiniSwitch or MultiSwitch Plus for remote selection of a Favorite functionality. Or, use our MIDI EXP Cable to connect Compadre to your MIDI rig.
- Use the included power supply or an adapter with the following rating: maximum 9 volts DC center-negative, with a minimum of 150mA of current. Standard 5.5mm x 2.1mm barrel connection.
- Boost Type selects between a clean or soft clipping boost circuit.
- CLEAN: Boost circuit increases output level without introducing noticeable clipping
- DIRTY: Boost circuit increases output level while introducing the soft clipping characteristic of an overdrive pedal
What is Compadre Dual Compressor & Boost?
In-depth tour by Strymon sound designer, DSP engineer Pete Celi
Vintage Inspiration, Modern Execution.
The Compadre design project started with a study of some of the finest analog compressors ever created, inspiring and guiding our circuit design process. Utilizing a VCA in the compression circuits allowed us to carefully tune the exact response and dynamics we desired for each voicing.
For Studio mode, our goal was to achieve the musical and transparent sound found within our favorite studio rack units and the best vintage studio console bus compression. Careful tuning of our detection circuit granted us exacting control over decay, especially important for Squeeze mode. With ample sustain on tap, we paid special attention to creating a completely smooth decay, with no unwanted pumping artifacts.
Independent Boost and Compression
For maximum versatility, Compadre allows you to use its Boost and Compression either together or independently from one another.
In this way Compadre is truly two pedals in one. Put that together with the ability to store and recall presets using MultiSwitch Plus or MIDI, and the possibilities are limitless.
Analog or Digital? We chose both.
From the Class A JFET input circuit, to the VCA-based compression, to the Clean Boost and the diode soft clipping Dirty Boost, every aspect of Compadre’s audio signal processing is fully analog, with premium quality components, design, and workmanship throughout. The audio signal is never converted to or from digital.
In Compadre, the digital aspect comes in the form of digital control and programmability. By converting digital control messages to analog control voltages, we can offer full MIDI control and recallable presets while preserving a completely analog signal path from end to end.
- Premium analog VCA (Voltage Controlled Amplifier) compressor circuits
- Two voicing options: smooth studio compression and hard pedal style compression
- Independently controlled clean or dirty boost circuit with 3 EQ options
- Dirty boost option provides overdrive when boost is engaged
- DRY Knob lets you blend the dry signal with the compressed signal to preserve attack transients