Create vast soundscapes with just a few notes from your instrument. Apply mind-bending pitch and harmonic manipulation to your reverb tails, with synth-like filter sweeps. Enter a world of new sounds that blow away the boundaries of what is possible with reverb. With pioneers and adventurous sonic explorers in mind we created a reverb pedal that can go where none have gone before.
Reverberant Synthesis Machine.
NightSky is a reverberant synthesis workstation, and a powerful, hands-on experimental sound design platform. NightSky gives you real-time continuous control of reverb pitch/processing rate/core size, harmonics, and even a synth-like resonant filter with multiple modulation waveshapes, plus a step sequencer with variable glide. You haven’t heard a pedal like this before.
The Rules of Space and Time Have Been Rewritten.
New Sonic Territory.
Warp Core Reverb.
Harmonic Sculpture Machine.
Challenge The Conventions.
NightSky evolved from a desire to push the envelope and challenge the conventions of traditional reverb while also paying homage to the experimental reverberant sounds from decades past.It started with the variable rate core. Once that was nailed down, we knew we had to complement it with a set of sound-shaping features that could take full advantage of the unique possibilities and expand them exponentially. This led us to a full-featured modulation section, a 4-pole resonant filter, and a unique Voice section to control the reverb’s harmonic structure.
What is Strymon NightSky?
Experience the wide variety of sounds that can be created.
Control & Routing
- SPEED adjusts the rate of modulation from 0.06Hz (16 second sweep) to 12Hz (0.08 second sweep).
- TARGET selects the process to which modulation is applied.
- verb: modulates the delay lines within the regenerating reverb core.
- pitch: modulates the size (process rate) of the reverb core.
- filter: modulates the HIGH CUT tone control position.
- DEPTH adjusts the amount of modulation. Modulation is off at the fully minimum position.
- For env mode: modulation is off at noon. Sensitivity increases as the knob is rotated away from center. Rotate left for negative envelope response or right for positive.
- SHAPE selects the modulating waveform.
- triangle: rises and falls evenly.
- square: jumps between two fixed values.
- ramp: rises gradually and falls abruptly.
- saw: falls gradually and rises abruptly.
- random: jumps between random values.
- env: modulation value responds to playing dynamics (sensitivity set by DEPTH), and returns at a rate set by SPEED.
- LENGTH adjusts the reverb decay time from less than one second to nearly infinite sustain. At long decay settings, decay time may be impacted by the TONE settings.
- TEXTURE selects one of three different reverb types.
- sparse: granular-sounding reverb that can create interesting effects with staccato inputs, or produce a clean reverb with sustained inputs.
- dense: plate-like reverb with a fast response and dense reflections that can venture into ambient territory at high decay times.
- diffuse: slow-building, atmospheric wash that excels at ambient, swell, and even reverse-like textures.
- SIZE/PITCH increases the size of the reverb core to create a larger “space” for reflections as the knob is turned clockwise which also allows for pitch variations during adjustment.
- QUANTIZE selects the response and range of the SIZE/PITCH knob. smooth: SIZE/PITCH varies smoothly and continuously over a 2.5 octave pitch range.
- half step: The SIZE/PITCH is quantized into half-step intervals over a two octave range.
- scale: The SIZE/PITCH is quantized into selectable scales over a two octave range.
- REVERB sets the output level of the reverberated signal.
- LOW CUT removes low end content both at the output and in the regenerating core portion of the reverb as the knob is turned clockwise.
- FILTER selects the response of the HIGH CUT knob.
- regen: removes high frequencies from the regenerating core, creating a reverb that gets darker as it decays.
- low pass: applies a synth-style peaking low-pass filter to the reverb output to selectively shape the frequency content.
- HIGH CUT removes high frequency content from the reverb with characteristics determined by the FILTER switch selection.
- INTERVAL selects the pitch interval of the shimmer effect from a number of musically useful and interesting intervals.
- SHIMMER (button) selects the type of shimmer effect.
- input: shimmer effect is applied to the input of the reverb core and does not regenerate.
- regen: shimmer effect is applied within the reverb core and the effect is regenerative.
- SHIMMER (knob) sets the amount of the shimmer effect. Shimmer effect is off when set to minimum.
- GLIMMER creates a harmonically enhanced spectrum from the reverb output.
- high: higher frequency harmonics are highlighted creating a washy, dreamy top end.
- low: lower frequency harmonics are highlighted that add mysterious and synth-like textures.
- LED off: Glimmer is disabled.
- DRIVE adds saturated over-driven harmonics to the reverb.
- pre: applies drive to the signal before the reverb tank.
- post: applies drive after the reverb core, allowing the reverb tail to dynamically go into and out of saturation as the reverb decays.
- LED off: Drive is disabled
- DRY sets the output level of the unprocessed signal. No dry signal at minimum, unity gain at 12:00, and +3dB boost at max.
- ON turns the effect ON or OFF.
- morph: press and hold sweeps between the current sound and a set of alternate knob settings.
- sequence step: In Sequence mode, advances the sequence to the next step on each press. If a sequence is playing, pressing the step foot switch once will stop the sequence from playing and return to the first step.
- FAVORITE toggles between the active onboard preset and the current state of the knobs and switches. GREEN LED indicates that the preset is engaged.
- sequence tap: In Sequence mode, sets the rate of the sequencer through two taps. Resets the sequencer to Step 1 on single tap.
- PRESET BUTTONS 1-8 select and enable presets. Press a lit preset button to switch between two banks. GREEN LED indicates presets 1-8, AMBER indicates presets 9-16. In Sequence mode, use these buttons to enable/disable the step for the sequence, and set size/pitch for each step. See user manual for details.
- INFINITE holds the input to the reverb core while also allowing new audio to be processed by the reverb on top of the “frozen” audio. Press and hold to switch into sequence mode. Press and hold again to switch out of sequence mode.
- INPUT MODE – Sets the INPUT level. Use INST with guitar level input. Set to LINE when using NightSky in the effects loop of a guitar amp, or when driving NightSky with a hot output from a synth or mixer insert.
- INPUTS – Stereo high impedance ultra low-noise discrete Class A JFET preamp inputs. Use LEFT IN for mono input.
- OUTPUTS – Audio signal outputs. Use LEFT OUT for mono output.
- EXP can be set to work in one of the following modes:
- Expression Pedal Mode: Continuous control over knobs via expression pedal.
- MIDI Mode: Access three presets using MultiSwitch Plus or 300 presets via MIDI.
- Preset Up/Down Mode: Scroll through, engage, or bypass the 16 onboard presets via MultiSwitch Plus.
- MOD/TONE/VOICE Bypass Mode: Engage or bypass the individual sections of NightSky with MultiSwitch Plus.
- USB – Used for connecting to a computer for controlling via MIDI.
- MIDI – Full featured MIDI input and output supporting MIDI CCs, program changes, and more.
- POWER – Use included power supply or any adapter with the following rating: 9VDC center negative. 300mA minimum.
Instant Access to 16 Presets.
NightSky gives you instant front panel access to 16 presets.
Of course, if 16 is not enough, 300 preset locations are available via MIDI.
- Three selectable reverb types offer a wide variety of ambient textures
- MOD section with various waveforms to modulate the reverb or tone filters
- TONE section to sculpt the high and low EQ of the reverb
- VOICE section to enhance the aural spectrum of the reverb
- Adjustable SHIMMER for adding pitch shifting of up to +/- 1 octave to the reverb
- GLIMMER dynamically enhances high or low frequency harmonics for synth-like textures
- Pre or Post DRIVE to add saturated overdriven harmonics to the reverb
- Adjustable reverb core size to increase or decrease the space for reflections
- Independent REVERB and DRY level controls
- Step sequencer for programming rhythmic pitch variations of the reverb
- Access to 16 presets from the front panel and 300 presets via MIDI