How do I connect my Strymon pedal(s) to Nixie?
To connect your Strymon pedal to the Nixie software, you need a MIDI interface to connect from the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT ports of your pedal to your computer, typically through USB. There are many type of MIDI interfaces out there, but we recommend a robust MIDI interface that uses dedicated drivers to operate reliably with your computers specific operating system. We do not recommend getting a plug-and-play MIDI interface as we have seen many of those have trouble with handling the data transferred between the pedal and your computer. Two MIDI interfaces that we recommend are the Roland UM-ONE and the Yamaha UX-16.
***NOTE: The MIDI ports will transmit data back and forth between your computer and your Strymon pedal, however, they do not send audio. Please use the audio INPUT and OUTPUT connections to audition the changes you make on your Strymon pedals.***
To connect your pedal to your computer with a MIDI interface:
- First, make sure to connect your MIDI interface to your computer and and ensure any required drivers are installed on the system to operate correctly.
- Connect the MIDI OUT port of your MIDI interface to the MIDI IN port of your Strymon pedal
- Connect the MIDI IN port of your MIDI interface to the MIDI OUT port of your Strymon pedal.
- Please keep in mind that some MIDI interfaces have cable ends that tell you where to connect them to such as the Roland UM-ONE. For these interfaces, ‘TO MIDI IN’ connects to the MIDI IN port of your pedal, and ‘TO MIDI OUT’ connects to the MIDI OUT port of your pedal.
- Set MIDI PA and MIDI CT in the GLOBLS menu of your pedal(s) to ON.
- Set MIDI TH to MERGE.
- For pedals with older firmware, set MIDI TH to ON.
- Set MIDI ST in the GLOBLS menu of your pedal to OFF.
- If you are connecting more than 1 Strymon pedal to Nixie at once, make sure to set each pedal to its own MIDI Channel (MIDI CH in GLOBLS).
- Launch the Nixie application and your connected pedal(s) will be automatically detected.
Please check out the following FAQ for information on linking more than 1 Strymon pedal to the Nixie software: